“I’m waiting for my man to come home.” “So proud of my man.” “Enjoying some time with my man.”
It’s a Facebook status favorite.
It’s just not my favorite, not my personal style or verbal inclination.
But still this is truth.
Song of Songs:
I am my beloved’s and my beloved is mine (6:3 NIV).
Paul said it, too:
The wife does not have authority over her own body but yields it to her husband. In the same way, the husband does not have authority over his own body but yields it to his wife (1 Corinthians 7:4 NIV).
Mine. Joined to me and fused into me so strong that blows to him suck the breath right out of me and the way he smiles on the good day is my joy, too.
He’s my blessing, this gift. Mine to treasure, to enjoy, to love.
But gifts aren’t just enjoyed; they are watched over, cared for, tended, and kept safe. God entrusted him to me.
He’s mine to respect, listen to, encourage, fill up and build up, support and to stand by.
And mine to pray for.
Stormie Omartian wrote, “Prayer is the ultimate love language” (The Power of a Praying® Wife, p.29).
Here are 12 of my favorite verses to pray for my husband:
- A wife of noble character is her husband’s crown, but a disgraceful wife is like decay in his bones (Proverbs 12:4 NIV).
Lord, help me to be a godly wife, an encouragement and support to him. Show me how to love him and help me to see him with your eyes. Forgive me for my mistakes and failings and help me be a better wife every day.
- Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength (Mark 12:30 NIV).
God, draw my husband closer to You each day and stir in him a passion for You and Your Word.
- Create in me a pure heart, O God, and renew a steadfast spirit within me (Psalm 51:10 NIV).
Create in my husband the desire for purity. Help him to hunger and thirst for righteousness and give him the steadfast spirit, the strength, and the discipline to choose what is right and godly. When he is tempted, help him to overcome and to run closer to you.
- But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. Matthew 6:33
Show my husband how to balance the priorities and stresses on his shoulders. Help him always to place You first and then allow every area of his life to fall into place as a result.
- Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways submit to him, and he will make your paths straight. Proverbs 3:5-6 NIV
Help my husband trust in You and submit to You in all ways. Make his path straight. Show him where to step and how to walk in obedience. Renew his faith even in the tough times and the dark places. Remind him of Your presence with Him and the way You have gone before him.
- If any of you lacks wisdom, you should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to you (James 1:5 NIV).
Fill my husband with Your wisdom so that in all things, in every situation, he will know Your will.
- Two are better than one, because they have a good return for their labor: If either of them falls down, one can help the other up…Also, if two lie down together, they will keep warm…Though one may be overpowered, two can defend themselves. A cord of three strands is not quickly broken (Ecclesiastes 4:9-12 NIV)
Strengthen our marriage daily. Unite us as a team that cannot be broken. Show us how to love one another selflessly, to communicate, to show affection, to work together and always to honor You in our relationship. Teach us how to forgive and give us opportunities to laugh and find joy together. Defeat any attempt by Satan to divide us with anger, bitterness, infidelity, divorce…
- Fathers, do not exasperate your children; instead, bring them up in the training and instruction of the Lord (Ephesians 6:4 NIV).
Father God, be with my husband as he parents our children. Help us be in agreement as we care for and discipline them and attempt to “bring them up in the training and instruction of the Lord.” Give him wisdom and compassion, fairness and grace, strength and sensitivity.
- Let love and faithfulness never leave you…Then you will win favor and a good name in the sight of God and man (Proverbs 3:3-4 NIV).
Make my husband’s godly character shines in every situation. Give him favor with You and with man, especially in the work place. Protect his reputation and allow his life to be a witness to those around him.
- May the favor of the Lord our God rest on us; establish the work of our hands for us– yes, establish the work of our hands. Psalm 90:17 NIV
Establish the work of his hands. Let it be successful and fruitful labor, well-rewarded and recognized. Help him overcome obstacles and solve problems with creativity and wisdom. Reveal solutions to him. Protect him from mis-steps and bad decisions.
- The Lord was with Joseph so that he prospered…the Lord gave him success in everything he did, Genesis 39:2-3
Just as you blessed the work of Joseph, bless the work of my husband. Let everything he touches be successful and prosperous. Prosper his business/company because he is there.
- But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus, his Son, purifies us from all sin (1 John 1:7 NIV).
Give my husband friendships with godly men. As he walks in the light, give him this “fellowship with one another” so that he doesn’t walk alone, but is strengthened and encouraged by other men of God.
In Jesus’ name….Amen.
If you would like a printout of these prayers to place in Your Bible or journal or maybe on your fridge or bathroom mirror, you can click here for the free printable!
Heather King is a wife, mom, Bible Study teacher, writer and worship leader. Most importantly, she is a Christ follower with a desire to help others apply the Bible to everyday life with all its mess, noise, and busyness. Her upcoming book, Ask Me Anything, Lord: Opening Our Hearts to God’s Questions, will be released in November 2013! To read more devotionals by Heather King, click here.
Copyright © 2013 Heather King